Saturday, January 16, 2010

CCYAA 2009

This year, I was invited to be the official photographer for the Chinese Canadian Youth Achievement Awards at the CCCYC. They opened the ceremonies with a traditional Lion Dance, performed by the Christian Wushu Fellowship, which made for an exciting start! :D

To be honest, I wasn't sure what to expect since I've never been to a CCYAA. By the end, I was left completely blown away. The 13 award winners certainly deserved to be recognized for their talents and contributions. I was AMAZED by how much these youths have accomplished at such a young age (most of the winners were still in high school!!!).

What was I doing at their age? Watching television, playing video games and participating in a few club activities. As far as my future, I only knew that I wanted to be in the arts. But I was nowhere as far along as they are.

The Visual Arts winners had some beautiful art on display in the foyer - Amy Wang (left)/Stephy Chang (right):

Eric Yam (2009 Youth of the Year) - he was recognized for his achievement as the Grand Prize Winner of the 2009 NASA Space Settlement Design Contest:

Laura Suen - in high school, she volunteered at a African refugee camp as a journalist. When she came back, she started her own non-profit organization, Over Bounds, which aims to abolish illiteracy, hunger and poverty :

The Performance Arts Winners gave a spectacular performance of their musical talents that left me pretty speechless (I almost forgot to take pictures - haha!).

George Fan (saxophone):

Ariel Kwan (violin):


Helen Lu (classic guitar):

Guest performance by Shulammite Chow:

Of course, the night ended with some light refreshments :)

Thanks again to the CCCYC for the opportunity to document such a great event! And a bigger thanks to all the winners - for your dedication & devotion to your crafts, and spreading such inspiration to your community. I wish you nothing but great success! You've definitely left a lasting impression on me :)

1 comment:

Lezley Davidson said...

Wow.

All I could hear in my head was "... the two yootes" from My Cousin Vinnie.

sorry.
*sigh*