Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Sweet Dreams MJ


I wasn't thinking of making a post dedicated to Michael Jackson, but while I was editing away, I had his memorial playing in the background and I couldn't help but think of all the MJ songs I used to listen to when I was younger.

My brother and I would listen to his music everyday - my brother being obsessed with Michael Jackson, and we're talking the insane video taping of all his music videos/concerts/interviews on VHS (oooooh yah, remember those people? VHS rocks! well, not so much nowadays...) and playing his cassette tapes over and over again (recorded from his vinyls...oh man, those were the days!) The King of Pop would even serenade us to sleep with songs like "Man in the Mirror", "The Way You Make Me Feel" and "Smooth Criminal" :) Ooh, ooh, we even had the Michael Jackson Moonwalker video game!!!! Yes, we were nerds!! (And that was a hard game to beat too.)

Even though he went through some really dark times in his later years (I think we all know what period that was), he has somehow impacted everyone in one form or another with his music & dance. I tried searching for my favourite song of his to share from YouTube and I realized that there's too many songs to choose from. I finally decided on "Pretty Young Thing" because it's still being played on the radio and every time it comes on, I still find myself dancing to this song.

***ignore the actual video - apparently there wasn't any official video made for this song***

Michael Jackson, you will be missed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was 7 years old when the Thriller album was unleashed on the world.

In those days video countdown shows like the CHUM FM Countdown where huge and I'd stay awake late on Friday evenings just to watch the Thriller video. It was always the number one video so that meant I had to stay up until midnight so I could see it. Sometimes I'd fall off to sleep before they played it and that always sucked. I had all the MJ merch - glitter gloves, thriller sunglasses, buttons, posters, books, tapes and records. I always regretted never owning the Beat It jacket. I love that jacket to this day. I remember returning to school in September of '83 and all the kids were wearing leather pants. Some had the Thriller jacket too. The bastards I thought - out of jealousy of course.

It was sad to see the memorial on tv yesterday. It seems to me like MJ has had his big comeback after all but it is sad that it has had to happen only after his death - as this is usually the case. He is top of the sales charts once again as new generations are downloading his music for the first time. Let's hope the media doesn't get too carried away with his death though - this morning I heard that MJ was nearly bald when he died (either from genetics or from a fighting a recent bout of skin cancer). Oh the things that will come out now...

Serena S. said...

Bill!

I think I ended up watching/listening to the memorial 2-3 times (it was on constant rotation). It's weird to think that he's actually physically gone, since his presence is still very much alive.

I heard that for 2 hours on iTunes, all the top 10 songs were MJ's. Incredible! I'm glad the younger generation will get to experience his music. There's also some unreleased songs that might resurface! I'll be excited to hear those.

Haha, you would look smashing in that Beat It jacket ;) Have you ever tracked one down? Although it'll be $$$ now :( I would sometimes wear the white socks with my dress shoes as a kid...in retrospect, perhaps not the hottest look at a function.

I didn't hear about his baldness - just one more thing he had to deal with, my god. I did see pictures of him when they were trying to resuscitate him...not something I want to remember. We'll see in later days what other things will come out....

Anonymous said...

who's MJ?

Serena S. said...

MJ (short form) = michael jackson