Saturday, November 21, 2009

Edward Steichen

A few weeks ago, I had myself a "Just Me Day" and spent a rainy, but beautiful Saturday at the AGO. Armed with an iPod and my thoughts, I journeyed into the renovated art gallery and checked out the Edward Steichen show.

Unfortunately, I wasn't allowed to take pictures (fie on those security guards! they seemed to be following me every time I tried to take a photo) so these images are taken from the web. Obviously they don't do the actual print justice, but they're some of the few favourites I had.

I still have to check out the Vanity Fair Portraits @ the ROM, but we'll save that for another Saturday :)

If you haven't had a chance to see Steichen's work and you're a photographer, I would recommend seeing his images at least once in person. It's incredible how much inspiration he served for photographers today - from his lighting, composition, to posing and mood.



I only managed to hunt down one image from this series, but it's fantastic. It would be neat to re-create/re-invent this concept....for sure I'll be filing this idea away for a potential shoot ;)

3 comments:

Kyle Clements said...

Since he died in 1973, In 2023, his works will enter the public domain (in Canada, at least) and then it will be perfectly legal for you to copy those images all you want.

can you wait 14 more years?

There were 3 guys who were awesome photographers, and all their names started with "S" Stieglitz, Steichen, and Strand,

Serena S. said...

awww....really, 14 years? booo....well i'll still file away the idea though :P we'll see what happens then.

yes, they were great photographers :) i particularly like Stieglitz's portraits of O'Keeffe.

ENLEME said...

nice legs