Friday, October 30, 2009

The Epic Bread Battle

Okay, I'll be the first to admit that when I'm stressed - I bake. It probably accounts for the last 10 pounds I've not been able to shed off since.......ever :P

This week I decided to try my hand at making bread with my brand new bread maker! In theory, it's supposed to be easy, right? Get ingredients, measure ingredients and dump said ingredients into bread machine -- press start.

My results:
  1. The first loaf came out looking good, but the measurements for the salt in the recipe seemed weird from the get go = Salty Bread
  2. My second loaf was a veggie bread and I had dropped the ball and incorrectly put in 2 TABLEspoons of yeast instead of TEAspoons = Burning Veggie Disaster Bread Nightmare = Ugly Veggie Pizza Scone (I didn't want to waste the dough, so I stuck it in the oven to finish cooking)
  3. My third loaf was a sad attempt at getting back some dignity with the veggie bread. It came out better than my first stab at it, but something was still off = Sky High Veggie Bread
  4. The fourth loaf was back to basics and I re-visited the first recipe. Less salt, but I'm thinking there's something weird with my yeast being used straight from the fridge. This resulted in = Sky High Good Tasting Bread
That being said, the last loaf came out the best - minus the appearance. But I was still left a little wounded by the whole experience. Soooo.....when life gives you bread failures, you make bread pudding ;D And that's exactly what I did tonight.

YUM!!! The bread pudding came out fantastic! Finally after 4 failures, I got something right :D And all is right with the world again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahahaaa~~ GOoD Job Serena! more delicous pizza bread scone plz..hohohoooo :P -LC'

Lezley Davidson said...

Agreed! Agreed! Pizza bread was awesomeness in bread form.


Still lacking recipe. *ahem*

tanyapotter said...

What!? Were you channeling me, or something? I thought it was only I who brought forth the monumental disasters... but, after this... maybe it was the BOTH of us that made the burnt ugly baking disasters!

AND! you brought back the ugly!

Truly Epic!